Criminals will often target people of wealth for the simple reason that's what they are after. Tourists are often more wealthy than the local population, or at least more wealthy than most would-be criminals. Therefore, foreigners are often targeted. Another reason is foreigners' lack of local knowledge and inherent insecurity, especially on arrival.
Here are some top tips to staying safe:
- Get to know your destination; it is easy to become disorientated especially in unfamiliar surroundings. Remain aware, even carry a pocket map with you at all times.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash with you when you are out of your accommodation, keep cash out of sight. Make sure that valuables are locked in a safe.
- Keep purses and wallets in front pockets, never place in your back pockets as this is an easy target, especially in built up areas.
- If you are wearing a backpack or are carrying a handbag, make sure this on your front in crowded areas.
- If using an ATM, shield the screen and your pin number, you never know who is watching.
- Be drink aware; know your limits when drinking alcohol and don’t wander around the streets after a few drinks, this can leave you vulnerable.
- If you feel you are being followed, walk towards a well lit area. If you can, find someone official like a police officer or go into a shop. Never be afraid to ask for help.